To listen the article select text   Click to listen highlighted text! To listen the article select text

A ban on returning asylum seekers forcibly to eastern DR Congo is demanded by UNHCR

A ban on returning asylum seekers forcibly to eastern DR Congo

  • news by AUN News correspondent
  • Saturday, November 19, 2022
  • AUN News – ISSN: 2949-8090

Summary:

  • One of the worst was in February of this year at the Plaine Savo camp in Ituri Province.

  • Since then, attacks have claimed the lives of more than 1,000 people who were either trying to return home or taking refuge in temporary housing.50 000 human rights cases of abuse far this year, UNHCR has found that more than 50,000 people in the DRC, including refugees and people who have moved within the country, have had their rights violated.

  • Since October 20, combat between the M23 rebel group and the Congolese Army has caused 188,000 new displacements.

  • Before this increase in violence, 5.6 million Congolese were reportedly internally displaced.

  • Just 43% of the money needed by UNHCR to aid individuals in need in the DRC has been provided as of fewer than six weeks before the end of 2022.

Friday, at a regular news conference in Geneva, UNHCR Director of International Protection Elizabeth Tan said she was worried about more attacks on civilians, especially those living in camps for displaced people.

One of the worst was in February of this year at the Plaine Savo camp in Ituri Province. At least 62 individuals were killed, and an armed non-state group hurt more than 40 others. Since then, attacks have claimed the lives of more than 1,000 people who were either trying to return home or taking refuge in temporary housing.

50 000 human rights abuses

So far this year, UNHCR has found that more than 50,000 people in the DRC, including refugees and people who have moved within the country, have had their rights violated.

UNHCR says that states have a moral and legal duty not to send refugees back to their home countries against their will and, if necessary, to give refuge to those fleeing an active conflict.

Militants from the M23 march

The situation is becoming worse as the armed conflict intensifies. Since October 20, combat between the M23 rebel group and the Congolese Army has caused 188,000 new displacements.

Before this increase in violence, 5.6 million Congolese were reportedly internally displaced. 22 African nations are now home to another million people seeking safety.

Nearly 700,000 people have been forced to flee owing to inclement weather. Still, the vast majority of those who had to leave—4.9 million people—were internally displaced by fighting in North Kivu, South Kivu, and Ituri.

Just 43% of the money needed by UNHCR to aid individuals in need in the DRC has been provided as of fewer than six weeks before the end of 2022.

Analysis by: Advocacy Unified Network

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Click to listen highlighted text!